Write Like a Mutha

I woke up this morning and realized I’m a writer.

For those of you who have been reading my blog for the past year, it may be surprising that this just occurred to me. But for those of you who really know me – like in real life know me – it’s probably not.

I’m a slow learner. Super-smart but slooowwww on the uptake.

Now that I’ve established in my own mind that I write, I’m gonna write like a mutha. (That’s a play on words. I am a mother and I’m gonna write a lot. In addition to being slow, I’m clever. They kinda cancel each other out, right?)

Prior to this morning – and quite literally, I just woke up 9 minutes ago – my writing took a long time to get out of my body and onto the page. Then I’d agonize over the words and structure and….everything, until it was 100% ready to go.

Not gonna do that anymore.

I’m not aiming for a Pulitzer Prize (if I remember correctly, that’s a writing award of some sort) and I’ve received enough validation to know I’m good enough.

Sidebar: Good enough. Yes, let’s repeat that. I am good enough.

So I am going to write to you every week. Specifically, every Friday morning, you will get some kind of awesome from me.

And my topics will double down on women’s and girl’s development.

This is a nice way of me saying that if you’re not down with women’s and girl’s development, it might be time to unsubscribe.

BUT I HOPE YOU DON’T.

Because you are my people.

Whether you got here because you’re a mom who has been walking around in shock since the election,

A budding feminist who doesn’t quite get what the word “feminist” really means but gets my words,

A woman who has survived what most women go through – body image issues, unwanted sexual anything, work-life struggles, marital explosions, children,

Or a dude who loves any of the aforementioned women…

You are my people.

And I’m going to write for you. Because I’m a writer and that’s what writer’s do.

But here’s the catch. I want you to help me write.

I want your questions, your wonderings, your fears, your whatever that’s related to women’s and girl’s development to be the topics of my writing.

In exchange, I promise to be funny, smart, and true.

I’ll share how this will work in my next post because…well, I still need to figure that out.

I’m sure there’s some technological gizmo that will allow me to interact with you outside of the blogosphere (maybe it’s good old fashioned email?) but I need to do a little research first.

I’ll get back to you.

In the meantime, think on it. Because we’re going to do something awesome together.

We’re gonna write like a mutha.

xoxoako

19 thoughts on “Write Like a Mutha

1. Anonymous says:

You go women! I love your writing so write like a Mutha it is funny and inspirational and so many things I think but don’t know how to put them down as well as you do. Maybe I’m just not being brave and scared of being vulnerable and that I’m not good enough! Good for you Alexis!

Liked by 1 person

2. Alison and Don says:

I was an art student, and a painter for years until one day in my 40’s I woke up and realised I believed that painting is hard work! Oh how my art changed after that revelation. It’s kinda the same thing. Now all my creativity goes into writing and photography – I haven’t yet realised that I’m a writer. Or a photographer. No matter that people say I should write a book and that my photos are good enough for Nat Geo. That’s the other part I haven’t gotten yet – good enough. But give me time 🙂
    I love your revelation. I love these kinds of revelations that change how we are in the world. Perhaps that’s something you could write about – revelations that change how we are in the world. Or believing we’re good enough.
    Alison

Liked by 1 person

• AKO Collective says:

Can I just say how much I ❤️ you right now? First – thank you for this wonderfully insightful comment interwoven with your story, one that I and others can relate into and learn from. Thank you! AND you gave me not one but two awesome topics to consider!!!! I’m excited to mull these over for myself and write about both!!! xoxoako

Liked by 1 person

3. Katie says:

I love this! You continue to inspire me and so many others with your unbelievably relatable writings, talks, and facilitation. You are a spark and you kick Good Enough’s ass every day of the week.

Liked by 1 person

4. hashtagtessed says:

Hello Alexis, happy Friday!

Thanks for another great blog entry – I always enjoy reading your posts!

I wanted to mention something I noticed, and I don’t mean to come off as “nitpicky”, rather I’d like to be constructive. You used the word “transgendered” and from what I’ve learned, trans folks prefer “transgender” because adding the “ed” implies it’s something that happened to them, vs. it just being their natural identity. Of course not every community is a monolith, so there are some folks who are ok with the “ed” at the end, but from what I understand the generally preferred term currently does not include it. There’s a good article that TIME magazine wrote on this subject in 2016 that I’d be happy to share if you want to read further into this.

Thanks for your time, I hope you have a great weekend!

Best, Tessa

Liked by 1 person

• AKO Collective says:

Tessa!!! I woke up this morning and thought, “OMG I think I totally f-ed that up!” and immediately did research and changes it and THEN I got your loving and compassionate message and can only say you are a testament to the kind of person who gives me hope in the world. To enter into this dialogue with love and understanding is what we need more of in the world. THANK YOU!